Pediatric dentistry is a branch of dentistry that focuses on infants and children’s oral health and hygiene. Dentists are specially trained to handle children’s oral healthcare including the gums of babies as young as one-week-old.
Your child’s baby-teeth play an important role in their early development since the baby teeth help them start talking, biting, and chewing their food properly. Children actually go through dental emergencies more often than adults since growing teeth can be painful, in addition to children eating more candy or not being able to brush their teeth properly.
Children start getting their baby teeth around the age of 6 or 7. Dentists are there to ensure that their teeth and gums are healthy, and preventive measures are taken in order to avoid premature teeth loss or decay. It’s always better to start treatments as early as possible in order to avoid a lifetime of dental complications.
What Do General Dentists Do?
A recent study has reported that of an estimated 143,000 dentists practicing in North America, approximately 80% of them are general dentists. General dentists provide various services that are important for maintaining proper oral hygiene such as:
- Preventive dental services that help you maintain good oral health by stopping disease before it develops. Common treatments include regular exams that include x-rays, teeth cleanings, sealants, and fillings. But patient’s oral health does depend on whether they brush and floss regularly as well as their commitment to visit the dentist every six months for an oral exam.
- Restorative services are utilized when a problem is found, your dentist will ensure you receive prompt treatment. One of the most common dental restoration services involves removing tooth decay and placing a filling in the affected tooth. Your general dentist will also offer a specialist referral for specialty dental procedures such as periodontal (gum) disease by replacing an abscessed or broken tooth, root canal therapy, and/or dental implants.
- Cosmetic procedures provide aesthetic treatment options. Cosmetic treatment options include teeth whitening, cosmetic bonding, and porcelain veneers. If you are looking to have a brighter smile ask our dentist at Maddison Avenue to schedule an appointment for a cosmetic treatment.
Types of Treatments Your Child Needs
When a general dentist qualifies as a dentist, they can start treating patients of any age. It is recommended that your child visits the dentist at an early age in order to get comfortable at the dental office and they can develop the habit of visiting the dentist twice a year.
Children also go through a different treatment plans than adults. A family dentist is always a good way to go for your child since they will ensure that the right treatment and medication is provided. A family dentist will also know what your child’s teeth require since baby teeth can come with infectious diseases and children are more prone to catch these diseases.
Other treatments include nutritional recommendations, dental care counseling, early repair of defects and cavities, dental injuries, etc.
Tips for Teaching Your Child to Brush
When your child turns two years old, it is recommended to teach them how to brush on their own teeth. Here are some tips to show them how to properly brush their teeth without missing any hard to reach areas.
- Have your child watch you through the mirror as you brush your teeth and explain the process.
- Let them know the average time it takes to brush your teeth is about two minutes and you need to brush both the front and backside of each tooth. There are tooth brush timers made for children to help them get used to the two minute rule.
- Afterwards, let your child demonstrate how they brush their teeth, if they miss a spot you can brush together.
- Lastly, make brushing fun for the child so they don’t see it as a chore. You can play music for two minutes instead of using a timer or provide a reward after they brush their teeth.
Keeping Children Happy At the Dentist
A family dentist usually has a special dental office and is trained to be friendly and comforting for children. In the end their sole purpose is to ensure that your child is happy and has the brightest smile.
A kid-friendly dental office is more welcoming, and when a child feels happy and comfortable there are better chances of them cooperating with the treatments.
Maddison Avenue provides dentistry for children in Las Vegas because we have a kid-friendly environment and our staff is well-trained and patient in dealing with children. Find more about us on our website.
Call for an Appointment
Improve your smile today with North Las Vegas’ best dentist. Contact our office to schedule an appointment or request further information about our dental services.
Phone: (702) 735-9500 or fill out our contact form here.